Welcome back to my blog! Today’s post will be the final instalment of the ‘Project Pink’ segment . This post will depict our final challenge in relation to colour; taking the images from the photo-shoot ( check out my first pink related blog post for more info) and editing them using text. For the brief, we had four different text types we had to apply to four photos, these included; an article, graffiti, an album cover and a promotional campaign (two positive and two negative interpretations). We had free run of what the text could say, how long it could be, whether it was satirical or humorous etc. Basically there was no right or wrong approach! Below I thought I would share with you some of my draft ideas, and also my final 4 designs for the brief. So, if you want to see the end results then please keep on reading!
- Article- for this text type we had to add a critical piece of text to one of our images, such as a subtitle for a newspaper article. I decided to use one of the photographs I originally planned to delete; the image of my model staring out into the distance I thought was ruined by a ‘Premier Inn’ sign that could be seen. I thought about attempting to crop out the purple branded board, and using the image for another text type. However, I tried to think outside of the box an push myself to have a different perspective, one that was more creative than straightforward thinking. So, with that in mind I added a tag line/article sub heading to the image (below), in order to turn the photograph into something that deeper than a girl in a pretty dress.
2. Graffiti- For this text type I immediately started drawing words, phrases, messages etc. over one of the photographs by using the editor on the Instagram story. I am not at all experienced with photo-shop like other members of my course are, so I opted for Instagram as an alternative after remembering they had different types of ink styles such as a graffiti can one, that was perfect for this text type. I played around with a few ideas until I settled on the one below. This is my favourite edit out of the four as I think it has a strong message, as well as a strong and realistic visual appeal that is pretty self explanatory.
3. Album Cover- For this text type, I thought straight to my boyfriend’s band ‘Roberto Flamingo’ for inspo. I asked him for a list of there songs I could use that would match well with a photograph I had already selected. I then decided to again think out of the box a little, and choose to experiment with materials. Rather than writing straight onto the paper, or printing on top of it, I decided to use tape and stuck it straight over the image. I think this made the album cover more raw and edgy, and I really liked how it turned out! (and so did my BF and his band!).
4.Promotional Campaign- For the final text type, I decided to take inspiration from myself in relation to wearing glasses. For the tag line of the promotional campaign I found a quote from google images that expresses a struggle I face all the time… people asking if I need glasses to see! LOL. I thought that because my model was wearing glasses in the image, whilst looking fashionable, that this made for an opportunity to take a satirical/ humorous pov that could be used to promote Specsavers to show the brand in a light hearted way. Taking inspo from campaigns by brands such as Ikea, who aren’t afraid to poke fun at themselves or take a slightly less conventional approach to persuading consumers.
Additionally, I have also included a few images with texts that didn’t make the final cut, but I still enjoyed developing and creating.
I hope you enjoyed this final blog post on the colour pink! Let me know any of your thoughts in the comment section! I will continue to blog regularly over the next coming months leading up to Christmas, now with a mix of Uni and personal related content/ posts… keep your eyes peeled!
Thank you for reading,